Peaches follows her mom. Husband in trauma

Socialite Peaches, the daughter of Boomtown Rats star Bob Geldof, was found dead at the age of 25 in April at the couple’s £1.2 million mansion in Wrotham, Kent while her 11-month old son Phaedra played in a room nearby.

During an inquest into the star’s death on last Wednesday, it emerged Peaches, who was also mother to two-year-old son Astala, had been receiving treatment for drug addiction for two years before her death.

Tom Cohen and the two children are now staying with his parents in Eltham, South London because he is too distraught to return to his Kent property following their loss.

The singer’s mother Susan and father Keith are helping him bring up the children at their home.

A neighbour told the Daily Mirror: “Thomas hasn’t been back to the house for a long time. Whenever he needs something, he gets his mum to pick it up.

“He is haunted by what has happened and is constantly reminded of Peaches and the happy times they shared, as well as the moment he found her.

“He has told friends he wants to sell it when he has the strength. But the house has remained empty for the majority of time since she passed away.”

Hauntingly, a dining room chair that was placed outside during the police search of the house is still in the same place and is yet to be taken back inside.

Dead flowers from mourners also remain at the gates.

To add to Tom’s woes, his Kent home has been raided by thieves twice since Peaches’ death.

Crooks took a lawnmower which Peaches’ father Bob was planning to restore and in another instance in May suspects damaged CCTV cameras monitoring the property.

Peaches was found surrounded by drug paraphernalia after her 7 April death having taken a fatal dose of heroin.

She had been seeking help for drug addiction for two years prior and had been taking weekly drugs tests but it is thought she may have lied about the clean results.

Giving evidence at the inquest on Wednesday at North Kent Coroners’ Office, Tom said that he found text messages on Peaches’ phone suggesting she was taking drugs and confronted her on the matter.

She went up to the loft of their house where she had stashed heroin and flushed it down the toilet.

But police found a bag of heroin with 61 per cent purity worth between £350 and £550 at the property. Heroin bought on the street usually has a purity of around 25 or 30 per cent.

In addition, 80 syringes were found, a syringe was hidden in a box of sweets by Peaches’ bed and a number of bottles of methadone – a drug used in the treatment of heroin addiction – were discovered.

DCI Paul Fotheringham told the inquest: “Next to the bed and within reaching distance of Peaches was an open cardboard box containing sweets – a capped syringe was located in this box.

“There was a small amount of a brown fluid left in the main chamber and another small amount of residue in the cap.

“Scientists have confirmed that the brown residue found does contain traces of heroin.”

Peaches was said to have been free from drugs in November 2013 but was using again by February this year which meant her tolerance to the drug had decreased.

Coroner Roger Hatch said: “Someone who stops or ceases to use heroin and then resumes is less able to tolerate the levels they previously had.”

The cause of Peaches death was confirmed as “opiate intoxication” on Wednesday.

Kent police said in a statement: “An investigation into who supplied the heroin to Ms Geldof-Cohen is ongoing. To date no one has been arrested or interviewed under caution in connection with this.”

Peaches’ mother Paula Yates also died from a heroin overdose at the age of 41 in 2000 when her daughter was just 11 years old.

Journalist Peaches was said to have become obsessed with her parent’s death in the months leading up to the date she passed away in April.

She previously told Elle magazine: “I remember the day my mother died, and it’s still hard to talk about it. I just blocked it out. I went to school the next day because my father’s mentality was ‘keep calm and carry on’.

“So we all went to school and tried to act as if nothing had happened. But it had happened. I didn’t grieve. I didn’t cry at her funeral. I couldn’t express anything because I was just numb to it all. I didn’t start grieving for my mother properly until I was maybe 16.”

Source Credits: Yahoo (UK & Ireland) News

This entry was posted in 08. Regale and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave your comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s